Thursday, September 6, 2012

Barbara Kruger-inspired Posters


Barbara Kruger-inspired Posters




1.) I decided to do simple posters and simple sayings. My first one is called "Friend" and it is a picture of a dog (Rottweiler). The reason behind the text I used was that man's best friend is his dog. By incorporating the dog into the poster, I was hoping people would be reminded of "Man's Best Friend"

2.) I am pretty sure everyone knows Hello Kitty, so I decided to make a poster that had something to do with the character. I was supposed to change the phrase, so I changed it from "Hello Kitty"
 to "Bye Bye Kitty" hence the crossed out eyes of Hello Kitty. I thought it was quite genius actually.

3.) Finally, I decided to use a popular slogan from Walmart: "Save money. Live better." I honestly did this because I thought it would be cool. Yes, I chose to photograph money in a wallet, symbolizing saving money.

1 comment:

  1. The most interesting poster I thought was your "Bye Bye Kitty" poster. I felt that by turning the image from color to black and white it helped create more meaning to the poster. Since the pencil case was turned black and the kitty was focused on more. Also I like how the cats eyes are x for a symbol that it's dead. I think it was smart to bold the text in white and with a highlight of red, because since the black and white are so direct and simple it really helped to make the text a focus point as well.
    Your image is a picture of Hello Kitty on a pencil case. The Hello Kitty was the Subject of the poster and the it helped the Text. I believe that in many ways that this poster is very direct and literal but there is also a humorous meaning behind it. Since your concept is very direct it is clear, because it's focused on one thing, and that is the Hello Kitty.
    From observing this poster I think there isn't much of a message, but it is showing some humor. I see a Hello Kitty with the dead symbols in its eyes and the text says Bye Bye Kitty and I think it's funny because there's a popular saying that cats have nine lives which means cats never die. And it's funny because the cat had died. I think you should use maybe a different image of a cat. And switch around your letters so it's maybe a little bit more clear.
    - courtney Tom

    ReplyDelete